At Home-Start Brentwood, our goal is to give practical support and encouragement to families helping to reduce stress and prevent family breakdown. The only qualifying criterion is that the family must have a child who is under 11 years of age.
We help to increase the confidence and independence of families by:
- Visiting families in their own homes to offer support, friendship and practical assistance
- Reassuring parents that their childcare problems are not unusual or unique
- Encouraging parents’ strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their children
- Trying to get the fun back into family life
Our volunteers, who have parenting experience themselves, can offer:
- Precious time for listening and talking
- Help with the children
- A break for parents
- Practical help and reassurance
- A chance to meet other parents in similar situations
- Support to use local services and resources
Parents ask for Home-Start’s help for all sorts of reasons:
- They may feel isolated in their community, have no family nearby and be struggling to make friends
- They may be finding it hard to cope because of their own or a child’s physical or mental illness
- They may have been hit hard by the death of a loved one
- They may be really struggling with the emotional and physical demands of having twins or triplets – perhaps born into an already large family
If you need support and think we can help you, please call or email us – our contact details can be found here.
Our quality is maintained across the country with all Home-Start schemes working to national standards.
Next: What we do